How to Soundproof Stairs?
Whether you live alone or along with your family, you will always prefer to have a comfortable and noise-free environment. Controlling noise is a crucial issue that needs an urgent solution, including noisy stairs. Noisy stairs at home are quite hard to soundproof due to their construction that effortlessly transmits sound from one floor to another.
Soundproofing stairs is tricky, and the most effective method depends on the stair location and construction. However, there are several tactics on how to soundproof stairs. Keep on reading and see how to solve your noisy stairs at home.
This article will explain the following:
Why do Stairs Make Noise?
Reasons why stairs are hard to soundproof
Ways of how to soundproof stairs
Products you can use to soundproof stairs
Why do Stairs Make Noise?
Most homeowners prefer to have immediate construction to solve noisy stairs. However, this is not a major solution. It is said that there are various components to a staircase, and it is a must to know each of them to solve the problem. Here are the five parts in each staircase:
• Stringers — It appears like a stair dodging board that guarantees that the stairwell doesn’t tear apart
• Banisters — Also known as handrails, are situated on the sides of the staircase
• Risers — The upright parts of the stair that link the treads
• Balustrades — The parts that make up the stair rail, including spindles, handrail, posts, and baserail
• Treads — The horizontal part you stand on
By identifying these different staircase parts, it is easy for you to know the noisy area. You can search for the exact location of the noise by stepping on the stairs and carefully listening to when the squeak takes place. Say, for instance, if the balustrade is making unwanted noise, there is a chance that you will hear the same sound while taking several steps.
Reasons Why Stairs are Hard to Soundproof
Stairs are hard to soundproof because the stairwell wall frame is rigidly linked to the joists overhead. Say, for instance, if you own a two-story house, similar stairwell framing is connected to the second floor and also with the walls. As a result, it creates a “shaft” of sorts that picks up sound and transfers it throughout the framing.
Simply imagine you are trapped in your basement. Isn’t that the ideal way to communicate upstairs is to knock on your stairwell wall hardly? This scheme conducts vibration throughout the house, and it is expected that someone will hear you.
Ways on How to Soundproof Stairs
If you want to soundproof stairs, noise needs to be stopped at its main source. For the basement room, here are some of the things you need to do to be prevented the sounds from reaching the stairwell:
• Completely enclose the staircase to prevent from creating an echo chamber
• Place a heavyweight door at the top and base of the stairs
• Make use of acoustical insulation under the stairs and around the staircase
• Put carpet on the stairs to reduce traveling sounds and footballs
• Use large area rugs or carpet in the basement room
In case you don’t want to remodel the area, simply hang a curtain at the open staircase area or even over the bottom entrance.
Products You Can Use to Soundproof Stairs
There are several ways on how to soundproof stairs. One of which is the use of advanced technology and materials available in the market. If you are not familiar with these varied products, simply use the following as your guide:
This product offers excellent sound reduction, moisture protection, and compression resistance. It is also considered the premium underlayment option that gives frim support for several types of flooring with magnificent acoustic benefits.
The product’s standard vapor barrier is designed for an optimum bond with adhesives. The main purpose of this is to have an easy installation process. Synthetic fiber pads are considered the most specified underlayment designers and architects due to their moisture protection and acoustical qualities. Here are the different features of this soundproof stair product you shouldn’t miss knowing:
• It has a luxury vinyl and floating engineered plank
• Comes with a superior sound reduction. It has recycled fibers that engross, keeping it from transmitting to another room.
• It has compression resistance. Its condensed recycled fiber construction chains the click-together instrument and will sustain its formation under the covering floor’s unswerving traffic.
• Includes moisture protection — recycled fibers that allows installation over material to control vapors from becoming large moisture. These vapor barriers secure the covering floors from destructive moisture.
• Proven safe and clean indoor air quality and with an approved in-floor radiant heat system. This allows heat to saturate evenly while securing the floor covering material from updraft shock.
This soundproof stair product has a price range from $48 to $50 with no import fees. Feel free to check this stuff and see if it perfectly fits your needs.
When it comes to soundproofing stairs, you should not miss checking the Gorilla silicone sealant. This product is designed to answer the stair noise problems you always encountered. Here are some of its amazing features you need to know:
• Extremely versatile 100% silicone sealant that parches translucent white
• Perfect for sealing cracks or gaps between two surfaces. It works on the door, window, kitchen, auto, marine, gutters, bath, and many more.
• Proven 100% waterproof and therefore, perfect for both indoor or outdoor stairs
• Has the ability to keep its texture as it won’t shrink, yellow, or crack
• Considered as mildew and mold resistant
This product has a price of $8.99 with no shipping charges. You can find this product in several stores, both online and offline shops.
The product has been proven as one of the best when it comes to stair soundproofing. It has the highest quality mass filled with a vinyl sound barrier, is heavyweight, has the highest sound ratings, and is safely used anywhere you want. Another best thing about this soundproof material is its technical specs. It has 1/8-inch thick, 4 x25 feet long, one pound per square foot, and weighs 100 pounds.
This noise grabber mass soundproofing barrier is made in the USA. It is designed to meet the needs of every customer completely. It is easy to install and cut. Since it comes with an instructional manual, you don’t have to worry about its installation procedure.
Reviews claim that this product is a multi-purpose soundproofing solution. How? This is because this product has various applications. It can be used in offices, homes, schools, factories, automobiles, and many more. Since it is an odor-free, safe, non-toxic product, you don’t have to worry about it.
These products are some of your options for soundproof your stairs. Now, before buying any stuff online, make sure that you seek help from experts. This is often observed if you don’t have any idea about stairs or staircases. Depending on your choice, you may ask for help from your neighbors or friends to detect which part of your stairs is noisy.
You can read this article here
Solving noisy stairs may seem a bit tricky. In some cases, you are tempted to seek help from constructors and prefer to remodel your stairs. But, that’s not always the case. There are some issues that can be solved through the use of simple and advanced technologies.
Though there are some soundproofing stair products to choose from, it doesn’t mean that you can easily solve your problem. The more options you have, the more difficult it is to pick the right one. What will you do to pick the best soundproofing stair products? Simply read reviews online. These reviews will serve as your guide, whether you are planning to do it yourself or purchase effective products for your staircase problems.
Are you still worried about your noisy stairs? Then, don’t just ignore it! Find solutions right away and see how these products and amazing tips answer your major concerns. Just like others, you can easily solve your staircase problems. It is simply a matter of knowing how to soundproof stairs, its basic tips, and possible products you may use to simplify the process.